Engine And Chassis Update

In the last post we had built the main engine block and started primer with the intention of using the Vallejo Metal Colors aluminum but the aluminum color just works so much better with an airbrush so we switched to Model Air Aluminum (71.062). With that done we added continued the build with the chrome parts and added the belt assembly. We also painted the oil filter blue to mimic AC Delco oil filters.

20161227_153625

We also started working on the chassis and got the transfer case and both front and rear axels installed with all the suspension parts except the shocks (which will be painted separately), and the plow mounting bracket. This assembly will be all black except the exhaust but it was part of the frame piece so that will be brush painted afterwards.

20161227_154315

Advertisements

Building an Engine Part 1

DSC_0010.jpg

After a couple months of slacking we finally got back to work, tonight we started assembling the engine. We started with the parts that will be painted aluminum and then started with our black primer. We’ll be using Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum that we did a color test with back in October. Next up will probably be another coat of primer and then aluminum and moving on with the chrome bits.

Testing metal colors

For our GMC Truck build there were a number of pats that had to be painted as metal, like steel or aluminum. Now a number of paint lines come with a color approximating the different metal colors but I wanted to try out something more advanced with the Vallejo Metal Color line (http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/metal-color/family/33). I hit up my favorite seller of Vallejo paints and picked up some basic aluminum (they have a number of different aluminum colors), steel, and chrome. I didn’t want to test these out directly on a kit so I got a couple scraps of styrene and Luke and I head out to the garage.

20161008_142348

First step was primer, you can put the Metal Colors directly on your surface but the line has a black gloss primer that is supposed to make the colors pop so that was the next step.

20161008_144549

After that I decided to label the back so I wouldn’t forget which color is which (A for aluminum, C for Chrome, S for steel)

20161008_144602

Next step was painting and then a gloss varnish from the metal color line. This is also why I wanted to test it on a throw away material in that things didn’t go terribly well. It took a little bit to get the airbrush dialed in properly and happy for spraying so the paint job wasn’t top notch but it for the most part it answered the question of how it looks.

20161008_174028.jpg

I’m sold on the steel (center) and aluminum (right) but something went wrong with the Chrome (left) over primer, not sure what exactly happened maybe it needs more coats. I will also say my phone camera doesn’t really pick up the steal color very well.

Blog Intro

As a model builder and and blogger (you can find my model railroading blog here) I wanted to get my kids into model building and maybe even use blogging as a way to help with creative writing.

This blog will primarily be about myself and my oldest son Luke building models with the occasional post about my middle child Jacob’s projects. The difference in coverage is more about the difficulty of projects we are taking on, with Luke (10) and I working on harder projects than Jacob (6) is.

Our first project is a Revell GMC pickup pictured below (well, the product listing picture not our result as we haven’t built it yet)

61R5TFdaK7L._SX522_.jpg